Wednesday, September 10, 2008

I think I have an "Epic" complex

I'm just winding down for bed, thinking that I don't really feel like I wrapped anything up today.  It was just another day of business (read: busy-ness), eating food, putting gas in the car, drinking coffee, talking a lot, thinking about things, blah blah blah.  It's not that any of those things were unimportant, I just don't feel like I really closed the book on anything; and that feeling of checking something off your list is a fine one, I'd say.  Especially when, for some reason, you really want to go to bed feeling like you've checked something off your list.  Some days this feeling doesn't matter, but today it does.

So... at 11:52pm, what could I possibly do to fulfill this urge...?  Some would drink some warm milk (i.e. grandma), or mix a cocktail, take a shower, read a chapter or two in a book, watch some TV... but usually those things for me are more of those everyday sorts of things.  Sure, they're nice, but they don't really generate that OH YEAH feeling for me.  Sometimes writing here can put my creativity dogs to rest, but I realize I get deterred quite often from doing such, mainly because I usually think I have to write this really well thought out, neato post that people will think is oh so cool... and then I get tired just thinking about thinking about it and usually fall asleep.

I realize, though, that I've done this with writing music as well.  I get these thoughts that say that whatever I do, it must be sooo groundbreaking and do all of this really interesting stuff that no one's ever done before, which, when I actually consider writing something, I usually say screw it and find something else to do.  Why can't I just be?

Lofty goals are wonderful--except when they discourage you from getting off the couch and starting down the goal's path.

No comments: