Friday, October 17, 2008

In-depth Comparison of CD vs. Vinyl of New Metallica

Ok, so... I've never really been into Metallica at any point in my life, but this post has nothing to do with my opinion on their music.  I ran across a link on gizmodo.com to an interesting article blog post that compares the audio quality of Metallica's new album on CD vs. on vinyl.  It's not really a broad argument for vinyl over CD, but rather just an interesting deconstruction of the resulting sound of this one album on each type of media. I think it's pretty interesting to actually see the waveforms of each compared side by side, which can point to some reason to the extra depth and clarity you get on analog media.  The article blog post is a bit technical (read: boring, if you're not in to that sort of thing), and pretty interesting, I think. Check it, here.

1 comment:

Ben and Alli said...

Ha! This is great. I actually just heard that there is actually a petition going around to get signatures in order to have it re-mixed. They have something like 12,000 signatures. Too bad that's only about 3% of the people who bought the CD in the first week it was on sale in the US. The best things was reading what Lars had to say about the mix on the CD.

"Listen, there's nothing up with the audio quality. It's 2008, and that's how we make records... Of course, I've heard that there are a few people complaining. But I've been listening to it the last couple of days in my car, and it sounds f#%&in' smokin'."

Ha! Gotta love that old-school metal attitude. Oh yeah!