Sunday, July 6, 2008

Hooray for Thrift Store Vinyl!

Amanda and I took a trip to Yoshi Now! on Saturday and I was quite happy to score some new vinyl.  Besides being cheap, the great thing about buying used vinyl is that you sometimes find treasure: I found a personalized & autographed sketching of Willie Nelson inside the Greatest Hits (And Some That Will Be) album I picked up: I also scored Steve Reich's Tehillim (which is interesting in that there's no fixed meter for this piece, yet is quite rhythmic; very cool how the percussion accents the Hebrew text): Volume 1 of Glenn Gould playing Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier (already had Vol. 1, but in mono!): Glenn Gould - Bach: The Well-Tempered Clavier Vol. 1: Book 1, Preludes and Fugues 1-8 Van Cliburn and Fritz Reiner (+ Chicago Symphony Orchestra) doing Brahms' Concerto No. 2, and an old school (on 78!) recording of The Boston Symphony Orchestra doing Ravel's Bolero (too bad I didn't realize they were 78's until after I got 'em--my record player doesn't do those :-( ). While looking for album cover pics for these, I also finally registered for discogs.com--a cool site for buying, selling, trading, displaying and finding info out about albums--especially vinyl.  I actually found out that the copy of Abbey Road that I picked up from Amoeba in May is actually an original pressing, and that a couple other thrift store finds somehow made their way to Fresno from Canada at some point in time.  If for some reason you feel the urge to take a gander at the collection, check it here.  Unfortunately, they don't have a lot of classical stuff up there that I have, but it's still cool nonetheless.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That autographed Nelson is super awesome. You getting a Reich album is news to me. Was just listening to music for 18 musicians which, as you know, I'm totally addicted to.

turboladen said...

Ya dude, I've been meaning to tell you about the Reich. It's really interesting; you should definitely have a listen one of these nights.