Wednesday, July 9, 2008

RANT: I'm Sick of iTunes.

There's nothing more frustrating in going to sit down and listen to your mp3 collection and then realize it's not there. Well, that's not quite exactly what's going on, but sorta.  I use 2 separate iTunes libraries to a) manage the goods on my MBP and b) manage the goods on my server.  It's neat that iTunes offers this functionality.  Except that it doesn't work.  Every time, now, I switch from one library to the other, iTunes re-references all my files to the last source.  I.e.: I use the iTunes library that points to all the stuff on my server, quit, then launch the library that points to my laptop stuff, and voilà!--nothing works because iTunes thinks all of those songs are physically located on my server.  And of course there's no easy way to make iTunes switch all the files back--it makes you think it does when you change back your preferences (that it so conveniently changed for you), but it doesn't fix anything.  So, I either have to delete all songs out of my library and re-add them (but then you lose all of your playback metadata--count played, rating, etc--I actually started rating things a couple months ago and have enjoyed this feature for filtering out crap that I, for some reason, won't delete even though I don't listen to it), or use Doug's Bring Out Yer Dead script to fix all 3060 songs, one-by-one. FIX YOUR CRAP APPLE. {end}

1 comment:

atout said...

i love picturing your face while you're typing this.

makes me giggle.

btw. my word verification for leaving this comment is "xpbaby". this grosses me out.